My name is Dr. Alice Hucker and I am a Clinical Psychologist based in Carlton North. Life can be incredibly challenging at times and I believe people are best supported through caring relationships. In my work, I hope to provide the kind of relationship that offers people space to reflect and make sense of the mess.
My main areas of practice:
- Sexual difficulties – individuals and couples.
- Trans, gender diverse and non-binary mental health.
- Including assessments for adults seeking hormones or surgery.
- Borderline personality disorder and other long term difficulties with emotions, relationships, self-harm, and suicidality.
- Pelvic/sexual pain – vaginismus, vulvodynia, dyspareunia, provoked vestibulodynia.
- Infertility and support during IVF and other reproductive treatments.
I also see clients with other difficulties including:
- Anxiety disorders and panic attacks.
- Relationship difficulties.
- Emotional eating, disordered eating, and body-image concerns.
- Grief and loss.
- Stress management.
- Adjustment to life changes.
I completed a Doctor of Psychology (Clinical) at Deakin University and have a research background in male and female sexual difficulties, assisted reproduction, and relationship education. I have worked with individuals and couples in a range of settings including an adult gender service, a private psychiatric hospital, IVF clinics, a crisis intervention clinic, and private practice.
I use a range of evidence-based therapy techniques such as Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy, Dialectical Behaviour Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Mentalisation-Based Treatment, and Emotionally-Focused Therapy for Couples.
I am a diversity friendly therapist, providing affirmative support for clients of all backgrounds, gender identities, sexual orientations, and relationship styles.
I am also a Board Approved Supervisor in the area of Clinical Psychology. I am indebted to a variety of wonderful supervisors over my career and I greatly value the process of supervision.
Clinical Supervision services:
- General supervision for psychology students and registered psychologists, as well as other mental health clinicians.
- Casual or ongoing consultation sessions for clinicians seeing trans, gender diverse and non-binary clients.
I hold full membership with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) with Clinical Psychology endorsement. I am also a member of the Society of Australian Sexologists (SAS) and the Australian and New Zealand Professional Association for Transgender Health (ANZPATH).
To visit my Facebook page click here. This is a community page I developed to share resources and ideas about psychology, sexuality, LGBTIQA+ wellbeing and anything else that piques my interest.
Dr. Alice Hucker
I acknowledge Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as Australia’s First People and the Traditional Custodians of the land I work on. I pay my respects to Elders past, present and emerging.