Undergoing gynaecological exams (such as pap smears or fertility related procedures) is commonly somewhat uncomfortable.
It’s normal to feel some awkwardness or nervousness before and/or during these intimate exams. Fair enough – these are necessary but invasive procedures. And sometimes with a complete stranger.
It is also common to feel some physical discomfort – the equipment may be cold and hard, you may be feeling tense and find it hard to relax your pelvic muscles, a swab may poke in a sensitive spot.
For some people though, gynaecological procedures are very uncomfortable, painful and distressing. Pelvic pain can impact in a variety of ways and may be caused by a variety of factors. These include: Continue reading Painful Gyne Exams: First Steps to Good Care
For most men, the idea of providing a sperm sample during their IVF workup or treatment is a bit awkward and uncomfortable. And fair enough – this is far from the ideal situation of making-love to make a baby from the comfort of your own bed.
All of a sudden, the whole scientific community is in your bed, and you have to masturbate into a cup.
But for some men, the idea may be particularly anxiety provoking and distressing.
Why does collection day cause anxiety?
Here are a few reasons why:
- You may be worried about “performance anxiety” in a strange and clinical environment, and not being able to arouse yourself to ejaculation;
- You may have been fine when you did the initial semen tests, but now feel the pressure of providing sperm on the actual big-day of treatment;
- You may have had issues in the past not being able to ejaculate in sexual or medical situations;
- You may not actually be familiar with masturbating on your own – you may be used to having a partner with you for all sexual stimulation; or
- You may have religious reasons for not masturbting.
Continue reading Andrology Angst: What are my Options Doc?